At 08:13 PM 2/15/2005, you wrote:

The folding wing plane was a modified Gentle Lady and I think it
belonged to Ken/Helen Olson.
This was also the first and last Nat's That I was privilaged to meet
and talk to Carl Goldberg himself.

Edwin Wilson

Thanks for the reminder. I can clearly remember Ken holding the model but couldn't put a name with the face. I knew the model looked like a Gentle Lady but thought it was a larger model.

Carl was at every Nats but one that I attended starting in 1953 but I never got to meet him until his last Nats. While I was checking in at AMA headquarters for the 1981 Nats in Seguin Texas, someone announced over the PA system and announced that this was the first Nats that Carl had missed. He was recovering from open-heart surgery in California and doing quite well.

A year later I was flying my Winglet Spica in the Nats at Lincoln Nebraska when Carl came by to discuss the very large winglets I was using. We only talked a few minutes but I was honored that such a famous modeler wanted to talk to me. Carl died not long after from Aids contracted from blood transfusions during his open-heart surgery a year before. I am fortunate to have a picture of Carl talking to me. I had finished 2-meter and was in the process of changing out the winglets for the standard class wing tips and changed one of them back to demonstrate how I was flying both standard class and 2-meter with the same model.

Chuck Anderson