>The SSA soaring manual states 150 to 200 feet long.  The glider will be flying before the airplane has enough airspeed to leave the ground.  The sailplane pilot will have quite a bit of forward pressure on the stick to hold the glider within about 5 feet of the ground.  If the glider is too high then the airplane cannot take off.  A.B.<

All true but consider the BV-40 would not have taken off at 40 to 80 kts like a recreational sailplane. It was designed to dive at over 850 kph to accomplish it's mission. (And before we get too wrapped around this "glamorous" idea lets not forget that was to kill allied airmen) As such had a very much higher wing loading. I think you have to consider it in the prospective of the ME-163 and it's tow plane, the BF-110 and it's 100 meters or 320 feet of steel tow rope. (from Rocket Fighter by Mano Ziegler, pg.12)  Dennis in NH