After lurking and reading the many comments re 2 meter at the NATS I figured it was time to submit my dime's worth..

Let's first look at how 2 meter differs from the only other TD class (unlimited).. Because there really are just 2 true model classes for soaring for the major TD classes at the NATS (based on wing-span of course)... Again, these are based on wing-span, just like our full-scale counterparts...

With the span limited to 2-meters as compared to unlimited planes we're working with the following span-based performance limitations

less aspect ratio, limited visual profile at a distance, shorter glide ratio, & generally higher wing loadings.

This creates an entirely different flying environment and potential strategy for dealing with a given task. As I've read from a couple contributors, the limitation of size makes the 2 meter a bit more difficult to achieve a given task at times. This is something that makes 2 meter unique as compared to unl. span planes, whether full-house or limited function (the RES class)...

One of the tenets laid out by Dan Pruss was that a soaring champion should show abilities in multiple disciplines and various aspects of Soaring.. Within the practical realm of the Soaring NATS in which we deal, 2 Meter is the other discipline.. There is no other.

If you take a look at our recent NATS Champs, the Dan Pruss Award has required excellence in both disciplines.. This should not change..

There have been other numerous comments referring to 2 meter as an entry level class. While it's true that many of us started with 2 meter planes like the Gentle Lady, in fact they were RES planes. At the NATS level, the competitive end of 2 meter can't be viewed as such.

The entry level category (and throw-back class) is RES. It was before it became a rule-book category.

Those that were involved in the early years of the present NATS structure might remember that we added RES/NOS at the end of the NATS week as sort of a laid back way to finish the week, replacing Sportsman's F3B (which occasionally was anything but). It was an easy day of relaxed competition before we all went home.

If we want more RES rounds, maybe we should fly just RES on the last day. There is a fair amount of cross-over/redundancy on RES/NOS day anyway. Maybe another event (like one of the "Woody Majors") could host a Nostalgia Championship for those so inclined.

Hi Mike, Thanks for your dimes worth. :)

I'm curious; who was it that suggested the criteria for the Dan Pruss Award should be different?

Regards,
Bob Johnson
Fond du Lac, WI