Hi All

Bakersfield has one of the few Saturday contests held on a monthly bases and this one was very challenging.

It had been raining for 2 days and it was still raining Saturday morning when we (the faithful and stalwart) arrived at the field around 9 am. By 10 am the rain stopped but up came a wind (steady 8 mph gusting to 11mph) from the wrong direction which made all the launch and land down wind. Flights were 3/5/3/5/5 and lift was spotty to non existent. In fact is was so challenging that some good pilots with good planes (Pike Superior, Nyx even a Super V) couldn't make 3 min.

I started with 9 oz of ballast (77 oz) in my Escape Lt. but found it flew better without it (68 oz) and finished the contest that way. Luck was on my side. I made all my landings, only missed time on the last flight and the Escape Lt. brought home the win.

Something to see was Dan Chandler sloping his Pike Superior of the edge of a building at about 100' for over 3 min. He took second.

If you want to fly contest on Saturday Bakersfield is the place to be. Every third Saturday of the month.

Come and join us next month on the 19th.
Maurice