Anker, et al:

Another RCSE member already addressed this correctly, but I thought I'd
add a bit more to help clear up the misconception that the Nikon D70
(and other digital single-lens-reflex cameras) increases the focal
length of the lens that you attach.  I haven't reviewed the entire
thread; if what I offer below has already been covered, please forgive
me.

When you attach your 70-300mm lens to your Nikon D70, (or your 80-200 to
your Canon Digital Rebel, or any other lens, for that matter) the focal
length of the lens does not and cannot change.  The focal length derives
from the distance of the rear nodal point of the lens to the imager (or
film plane on a film camera) when the lens is focused at infinity.  That
distance doesn't change when you attach the lens to a digital camera,
and neither does your focal length.  What changes on all but just a very
few digital SLRs is the picture area that you see (some digital SLRs
have 35mm full-frame imagers -- they're REALLY expensive).  The lens you
attach retains all its mechanical properties: magnification, minimum and
maximum focusing distances, available apertures, etc.  Most importantly
for this discussion, your lens still transmits the same circular image
area that it transmits on any camera to which it is attached.  You only
see a rectangular image because that's what the camera designers had to
work with when they first started putting film into cameras.  Rectangles
and squares are easier to fit onto film and more manageable than
circles, and with circles, images get fuzzy at the edges.  Think of it
this way: With a 35mm film camera, you see a certain-sized picture area
that happens to fit neatly onto the film strip; that rectangle is inside
the circle of the image the lens transmits.  You don't see the circular
image because what you see in the viewfinder must match what you get on
film.  No one would buy a camera that didn't do that.  But since the
digital SLR imagers are smaller than the image size you get on a 35mm
film camera, you see a smaller portion of the circular image that the
lens transmits.  It appears that you have suddenly increased your lens
focal length, but you haven't.  Your lens will not exhibit any of the
physical properties of a lens that's actually of the increased focal
length.  Focal length for focal length, the smaller digital imager gives
a smaller field of view of the same image, making it appear that your
lens has a greater magnification than it actually has.

Sorry for the novel.

I'd like to add one more point.  I was in photographic retail sales for
a while, and most people who bought digital SLRs from our store were
excited about the supposed advantages of that magnification factor.  It
was a selling point to anyone who didn't fully understand what they were
actually getting because everyone wants that really long lens so they
can reach out and photograph little Johnny when he's in right field and
mom is taking pictures from behind the plate.  Besides the lack of
increased focal length, the big disadvantage of the magnification factor
is that you lose the full field of view at the wide angle end of your
zoom lens.  I've been a photographer of one sort or another for 20
years, and I've learned to appreciate the wide-angle lens.  A 20mm lens
on a film camera can produce some very interesting images.  But that
same 20mm lens placed on a digital SLR with a magnification factor
ceases to provide that lovely wide 20mm field of view, and to me, that's
a bad thing.

By the way, once I learned what the magnification factor really meant, I
stopped using it as a selling point with customers, and I fully
explained this myth to my customers and to the students I taught in our
store's basic photography and digital photography classes.

Again, sorry for the novel.

Cheers and happy sailplane photographing!!

Scott in Chandler, Arizona.