Bill Swingle wrote:
Now that we've discussed this at length, has anyone noticed that the
magnetic force is not actually suited to this application? Meaning, any
displacement of the parts involved reduces the attractive force
significantly. But, what is really called for is the opposite
characteristic.

But actually, isn't that just about the perfect wing retention device for this application? Suitably sized, a rare earth magnet setup would shrug off a minor hit (wing drag or whatever) but would allow you to pull the wing apart with minor effort once the initial bond was broken. Plus wing rigging becomes truly "plug and play" if you have automatic servo connections.

The rare earth magnets I have exhibit quite impressive and sufficient magnet force at a distance of 1/2" - 1" to make re-seating after a minor separation completely automatic. I suspect a disturbance that displaces the wing further than that will have also had dire consequences for the entire airframe, and that wing separation will be the least of my worries.

Or so it would seem, anyways :)

Steve