The old coaster sprockets just aren't what they used to be. They are not really designed for the RPM of a winch. When I used to use them long ago, I found some brands that held up. Cheap ones didn't make the first launch. I use KK-25 one-way bearings now.

Generally if they hold up a few days, they will last a while.

James V. Bacus wrote:

HI James and others,

we used to use coaster sprockets on our old winches (pre moulded models)
when we pulled less tension and they worked pretty well, but as the setup of
the models got better we started destroying them fairly regularly. We now
use KK series one way bearings with a shrink fit collar on the outside to
lock the bearing up.

Yes, I am sure that is a better solution. I have launched off some FAI winches that used a positive locking mechanism you set a pin into. The coaster brake works pretty nicely for the tap-tap-tap style of launch one does with twine, if the wind is strong you can get enough tension to ride the brake up, thus not reeling in extra line.