From: "Hall, Stuart A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jo Grini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 7:58 AM
Subject: RE: [RCSE] Re: Winch Line

> www.atagulf.com was the place recommended to me for cheap Korean mono.
Approximately $9 per kilometer. Apparently, however, the stuff is not
particularly stretchy so I plan to use it just for sport flying without much
zoom. If it knots up while I am learning to handle a winch on mono, I will
strip it off and throw it in the garbage and restring some more since the
stuff is cheap.

> You could potentially buy it directly from the chinese factory as well...
http://www.richn.com.cn/products1_en.htm was a link that popped up on a
google search.

> It is said around here that gliding friends don't let other gliding
friends fly on braid. It is also said that flying from non-stretchy Korean
mono is a better alternative, any day, than braid.  :-)

nothing compared to the mono they say. Personally I have not tried it. It IS
the same line as you can buy in hobby shops but the there is a possibillty
to buy a line that might have been produced with another spec than you
wanted.
> So if you need cheap line go to a a shop or company that sell thick
fishing line for commercial use. Expect to buy a lot at the same time.

> Normally I use 1,25mm to 1,45 deppending on the conditions. For
competition that matters I always put on a new line. Most common places to
buy is Emc-Vega or Fischer. Earlier we also bought some "japan-line" but the
contact seems gone. Fischer line is a bit more "strechy" so you can use
thicker line and still have a good bungee effect in the zoom.
> BTW I use different line for F3J than F3B... Then I use a "pentagon-line"
from Emc-Vega. And yes it looks like Pentagon :-) 5 edges to cut the air
faster. But on a winch it will run old very fast.