I have built several McCann winches for our club and myself. I always use heavy duty continuous solenoids. Both the Prestolite #15-133 or the Cole Hesee #24037 at about $25 each, have proven very reliable.

Considering the price of what's being towed up the line, spending an extra $20 or so on solenoids seems good insurance.

Barry