To: "Soaring Exchange" <soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 11:28 AM
Subject: [RCSE] Skeg - rod or blade?

The past few years, for TD ships I've built removable G10 plug-in nose skegs. The blades weigh about .30 oz, which means that if I wanted to occasionally fly without one I'd have to add a bit of weight to the nose to compensate. In addition, they're kind of a pain to build and install.

Building a new ship now and thought perhaps using a 1/4" carbon tube, which would plug into a brass tube embedded in the nose and protrude about 1-1/2", would be a cleaner solution. The actual skeg weight is negligible (.05 oz) so flying without it would require no rebalancing, plus it's a near no-brainer to build. Might be just a tad less dangerous, too.

Anyone noted any detriments of using a carbon tube?

Tom