Marc, My understanding is that the host club bid deadline is the end of
March.  The TSC will then evaluate all bids and determine a location.

In the bid the bidding clubs were allowed the flexibility to propose dates
that best fit the interest of the pilots and the ability of the club to host
the event.  RMSA has placed a bid to host the event.  You will notice that
the dates on the RMSA site indicate tentative.  Those are the dates that
RMSA has proposed to run the event.  From an organization point of view that
date was selected primarily to help with the recruitment of volunteers.
Labor day weekend is traditionally a family holiday with many of the
available volunteers traveling or being otherwise committed to other
activities.  We considered a September date where the weather is perfect,
but considered that school will be in session and towing help from college
and high school kids might be more difficult to arrange.  We selected the
middle of august to be a couple of weeks after the Nats but still during
summer vacation time.  We know that this is NOT the traditional schedule,
but felt it was important to our proper running of the event.  We also
understood that this might be considered a negative in our bid, but we can
live with not being selected... :)

Hope this helps the rationale...
Jim

Jim Monaco