At 09:52 PM 3/22/2005, you wrote:
Has anyone here ever heard of a continuous loop sailplane winch? The setup
would look something like this:

http://www.vvsss.com/ezone/clwinch.gif

Continuous loops are used with dog lure machines, which are virtually
identical to sailplane winches, and pulleys made for the purpose are
available from Injoy.

(See "S/S Continuous Loop Wheel" at http://www.injoy-1.com/catal_1.htm )

This is an obvious idea and it seems certain that someone must have tried it,
but so far I haven't found anything on the web.

Mike
I saw a similar system at a contest in Lakeland Florida back in 1974. Worked great until one of the towlines wrapped around the ground line loop. You never saw such a mess and we spent more time waiting for the lines to be untangled than we spent flying.

Chuck Anderson