To: <soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] 51 MHz base loaded antenna for 9303

Larry Taylor wrote:

Remember to do a
Range check( Full Ant ) before you install the Antenna by having some one
drive with your radio and find out where it starts to fail.( a 2 way radio
works good here) Mark that location and do the same with your new Antenna...

Don't forget to take the different directivity properties of the two antennas
into consideration. A full length antenna might radiate most of its energy to
the side while a shortened antenna might radiate more energy off the tip.
When we fly, I think we tend to point the tips of our antennas in the general
direction of our planes.

I would repeat Larry's range check procedure several times at different
locations, holding both the plane and radio in different positions, before
drawing conclusions. It might also be good to try different planes or
receivers. Radio propagation can be strange sometimes, especially when
reflection off of ground objects is involved.

Here's another thought: A line-of-sight test would be best here, but would
probably be difficult to achieve at long distances on the ground. Since
you're testing the transmitter and not the receiver, It might be best to
impair the receiver as much as possible, perhaps by rolling up the antenna
wire.

Mike
--
Winch Solenoid Safety Buzzer - http://www.vvsss.com/buzzer/