Tom,

You've done a good thing. Namely, you experimented and tested the results.

The portion of the antenna still inside the fuse gets shielded somewhat
depending on the fuse material. To be safe I'd 'suggest' putting half the
wire inside the fuse.

I genuinely don't know the specifics of a longer antenna. I've done some
simple experiments of my own that yielded what seemed to be almost too good
of results. Even when the wire wasn't an desirable multiple of the factory
length. I can't explain this and I hate that.

Also, the extra length creates some additional resonant points that can be a
problem. But few can really speak on that with any authority.

I've said it before. Antenna stuff is really tough. I only had one antenna
class in college and it scared the hell outa me. I've made a career out of
simply 60hz! So be very careful about drawing conclusions and test
everything as best you can.

Bill Swingle
Janesville, CA