I have to answer this... Atleast since it is me that wrote the Samba
article...

Longer antenna in a Pike IS better. This because the fact that the antenna
inside a carbon fuse is shielded just like you car antenna is untill it
exits the car to the antenna. So if 30cm is outside the fuse you HAVE only
30cm antenna...
But the things get complicated since some of the antenna inside also
receives SOME of it. SO what is the real length? No one knows...
The same problem comes when you tape the antenna along the fuse. It is being
shielded since it is VERY close to the fuse. Just like laying your car
antenna down on the roof. The reception goes down and that fancy music gets
corrupted..

Y-antenna IS better. On a V-tail running two antennas you get a good angle
to the Tx (you) whatever angle the plane is flying. Therefore the tests show
it is better. The Swedish F3B team (some of them) even ran the antenna out
the elevator and then back again to exit the top of the rudder fin...

Oh BTW I have been testing a lot now on 72mhz also. Very little difference
to 35mhz.... The stock antenna (both Rx/Tx) are also supplied in the same
lengths.

BTW Simon say hi to all I know up there! Hope to see you again sometime!

Regards Jojo in Norway (that hope to receive a 9303 from Horizon very soon
:-)
www.grini.no