I've actually seen this function on a transmitter. I don't recall whether it was a factory item or the user added it, nor the brand but it was not a modern radio. Maybe Proline or Kraft. Seemed like a good thing to have but it ended up costing the owner an airplane when the button/switch was inadvertently activated and it stayed on, sucking the life from the battery at a great rate. Too much power can be a bad thing too...

This was not in the US so spare the FCC stuff...

CG.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Swingle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "John Erickson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Soaring List" <Soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Signal strength switch?

This is an idea I've had myself. A push button Signal Boost function. I like
it. But no, I've not heard of it ever being mentioned.

Besides it'd be illegal so no licensed tech could do it without risking his
license.

And I don't know how difficult it'd be to do without risking frying your
transmitter. How much power boost would be needed to have a reasonable
chance of combating an offending signal? I don't know.

Plus, our radio systems are licensed as must accept outside interference. So
I don't think even the concept would be agreed upon. Maybe if we turned it
into a life safety issue...

Bill Swingle