<<It gives me shudders to think of disabling my Tx in flight to observe what happens
when the receiver goes into failsafe mode.>>

FYI, tried this on Friday (from a safe altitude) and it worked fine with a
Shadow 3 PPM. I'm presuming it will be similar to a PCM LOS(?).

Failsafe kicked in ~ 2 sec. Full control came back, also after about 1-2 sec. Failsafe mode was programmed on the ground to emulate airbrake with a little rudder tossed in (full flaps, ~ 25% down elevator, ~ 15% left rudder). I suspect if you set the ground settings to a condition you have observed (and liked) in flight, the failsafe will come very close to what you want.

In this case, the plane slowed down, entered a shallow spiral dive and hardly
picked up speed. Lost  ~ 100-150 ft in about 5 turns and recovered very nicely
when the Tx was turned back on.

I'd HIGHLY recommend ground testing to verify that you get full control back in
a brief time after  the Tx returns to operation.

Enquiring minds wanted to know...........

- Dave R