From: Harley Michaelis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 5:06 PM
To: soaring@airage.com
Cc: John Hayes
Subject: [RCSE] PRIMER AND SCRATCH FILLER FOR GLASSING OVER.

A while back I was looking for the 2-part K & B Primer/Filler and learned it
was not available. I balked at the price of a Klass Kote product said to be
similar.

Subscriber John Hayes suggested mixing talc in MINWAX Water-Based
Polycrylic. Tuesday I first did that on a new glassed-over Genie LT/S
fuselage, mixing talc in about 5/8 oz. of the stuff to a consistency of
whipping cream to brush on.

It dried well in a few hours and was extremely easy to wet sand down to a
glass like finish with progressively finer grits. The fuse, painted with
Krylon, looks very good.

While searching for a suitable product, I had earlier tried the spray can
Dupli-Color Scratch Filler & Primer. It took about 6 applications to do the
filling and was much harder to sand. The Krylon used for the finish readily
chipped. I removed the Krylon with acetone which also took off the Primer. I
started over with Rustoleum Painter's choice Primer and top coat which came
out fine, but the Dupli-Color experience was not a good one.
The Polycrylic with talc will be my way to go from now on. The procedure
will be incorporated in the Genie web pages in a few days.

Thanks for passing this on to me, John.

"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
MIME turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL
are generally NOT in text format