Jon, I've been in the software development business a long time. We gave up the idea of these "dongles" a long time ago, except for extremely high end specialty applications, such as animation packages, certain video editing packages, etc. But to require a dongle for a cheap $100 piece of software is a real slap in the face to the customer. Everybody suffers so JR can wring every possible cent out of the market.

Just imagine if you had to have a dongle for the MS Office suite, and another for Adobe Photoshop, and another for Final Cut Pro, and another for...well you get the picture. Before long, you've got a briefcase full of dongles - and no I/O ports left to connect them to, mention the potential conflicts with other hardware and software. Alot of software used to require these things back in the 80s and they were universally reviled. More trouble than they're worth. Better to save the cost of the dongle, charge $100 for the software alone, and accept some level of piracy.

--Jim Laurel