Not any more. AMA Competition Regulations, GENERAL section, Paragraph 4, Model Identification, says "All models, except indoor, will be identified with the owner's name and address or AMA number on the model." So you can use your name and address instead of the AMA number and the number no longer needs to be at least 1 inch high.

Chuck Anderson

At 01:26 PM 4/10/2005, you wrote:

Still a rule- 1" numbers on right wing.
Stew

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Bill Johns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 02:14 AM 4/10/2005, you wrote:
> >I wonder out loud whether numbers actually have merit...
>
> I seem to recall (it was a long time ago) that planes that were
destine to
> compete in AMA sanctioned contests had to have the AMA number
prominently
> displayed on a wing.  Am I remembering that correctly? Was that
ever a
> rule?  It obviously isn't a rule now.  If it were a rule, when did
it
> change? Why??
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill Johns
>
> Goals are deceptive.  The unaimed arrow never misses.
>
> Bill Johns
> Colton, WA
> USA
>
> RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.
Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in
text only format with MIME turned off.  Email sent from web based
email such as Hotmail and AOL are generally NOT in text format