Back in the summer of 1982 I was teaching a buddy of mine that flew power how to launch and fly sailplanes. After giving him some stick time on my SD-100 that he flew very well. It was time to check out his plane(don't remember what kit it was). We checked everything out to make sure they were moving the right direction and all, and after a few hand tosses it was time to put it up on my high start. I had placed my Airtronics XL 6 channel transmitter in my flight box with the antenna still extended and really didn't pay it any mind. I pulled the high start back and hooked up his ship and all was ready for the big launch. Upon releasing his plane it took a hard right turn (in the direction of my flight box) and the high start line made contact with my upright transmitter antenna and got hooked under the freq. flag and puledl it up and out of my flight box like a model rocket at takeoff. About halfway up the launch the transmitter came loose from the line and fell back to earth like a high flying lawn dart.
The transmitter hit the hard field with a load crash and bounced maybe 3 feet in the air. At this point I did not want to see what maybe left of my radio, but once I did get the nerve to go look I was shocked to see that it was all in one piece with only the antenna being bent from the crash. Maybe the aluminum case saved much worse damage from the fall, not really sure. But after taking the radio to a buddies house where he checked it out and replaced the antenna the radio was back at the field the next weekend and I used it for another few years.
I never left my antenna up or radio infront of a launch ever again.

Mark

Soaring Is Life!!