Hi James,

NiCD's will deliver the most PWR on demand, but offer the least watt/Kg. THis may require recharging at some point in the day.

AA NiMH's have significantly higher internal resistance (lack of reactive surface area in the form factor), and will demonstrate a lower voltage under a similar load. Add to this they discharge at almost double the rate compared to NiCD just sitting waiting for the next flying day.

Contrary to the suggestion NiCD is history, this technology will be around for a long time to come. No other technology at present can offer similar PWR demand for as many cycles. NiMH still has a long way to go to meet NiCD specifications in the areas of actual service life, charge degradation due to being endothermic by nature under a charge regime, and the obvious higher internal resistance to start with.

Also be wary of AA NiMH cells claiming in excess of 2000mA. The manner in which these cells are rated is at relatively light loads...which means they deliver significantly less under loads in the manner we might subject them to.

If you perform light-duty casual flying, NiMH may suffice. If you want maximum electrical performance, then employ NiCD's.