To: "Ed Berris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 8:52 PM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] trouble with balsa dust

Well Ed, you're screwed. I've got the same thing. Happened a few years ago. Best I can suggest it to get a charcoal respirator and avoid Balsa. The respirator works good so long as you wear it. Trouble is, when you're done the dust is all over your closes and everything in your shop. Take it off and breathe in the dust and hope your Kleenex box is full.

I got one of those big Jet filters hanging from my shop ceiling and that helps control the dust, but some is still left on everything else in the shop. I've got good at attaching a vacuum to my power tools and that works well even with out the respirator. For ol' fashioned sanding with a block however there is no magic bullet.

-Ben

Ed Berris wrote:
I realize this is not a medical forum, however, I suspect that others of you
have had some experience with reactions to balsa dust.

I seem to have developed quite a sensitivity to balsa dust. With just a
small exposure it triggers asthma like symptoms including a nagging cough,
wheezing, a tightness in my chest and sometime dizziness or severe cold like
symptoms.

I wonder if others have had a similar experience and what they are doing so
that they can continue working with balsa without becoming ill.

I know that a good quality dust mask will be a must. I have seldom worn on
in the past but I can see that I will need to now.

Miserable in Minnesota,
Ed