Looking back, I would never do this again, but I built a Top Flite
Antares and installed a captive release towhook on it - I think that's
called compounding your problem.

Anyway, I was very green, very nervous, and my first couple flights were
not much more than hops off the line (at the West Carrollton field for
some of you old time Dayton fliers).   I eventually got my nerve up, and
my brother and I took it out to a large field / parking lot outside of
town.

Needless to say, the captive release failed to release on the first hard
launch.... I still have the image of this huge (to me, at the time) ship
flying control-line style, my brother yelling at me to release...  I
eventually ended up with the plane flying at me, full speed, about 5
feet off the ground from the far end of the line.

I guess I panicked because the last thing I remember of the flight was
the plane violently going up and down 5 and 11 feet respectively,
pancaking on the parking lot, and pieces of plane sliding to my feet.
The way the wing flexed at the end, it almost looked like it was
flapping like hell, futilely trying to avoid the pavement.

I've done the other big faux pas's, RX off, wrong program, etc, but this
one still stands out as my most memorable histart mishap.