My story involves the destruction of my first molded ship and a valuable
lesson learned. I had this wonderful flying Xantipa, a 127" 16.5 /1.00
high aspect ration sailplane that Skip imported. Weighed a metric ton
but really soars well. About 1000 squares and 83 oz. As a new sailplane
pilot the ship was so good it put the hurt on the local Emeralds, Makos,
Sapphires, Stork, etc. and I didn't know beans about proper setup.

The locals are all cambering up their entire trailing edge on their
lower aspect ratio AMA TD ships and chiding me about my granny launch
setup with only flaps deflected so I decide to get a little more
aggressive and bring in the ailerons to make it launch even better.

Aft CG, fairly small v-tail, little wind, full camber trailing edge,
long skinny wings with narrow chord, high start of moderate
tension......ta daaaa......disaster in the making!

Hard throw, swerve left, right, left, right then full tip stall with
ship instantly inverting at about 75-100 ft. of altitude with me pushing
forward to try an inverted pull-out but.......forgot to take off the
launch camber during this relaxing episode.....ship still attached to
hi-start and moving toward stake quickly with me pushing to pull out
inverted..... then entry into the most wicked inverted flat spin you can
envision with the hi-start giving the inverted flat spin all kinds of
energy and rotational speed due to its ongoing downward pull.

Ship probably made 20-30 rotations and then impact and here is the sad
part.....I think I could have saved it if I would have had the presence
of mind to take out the launch camber......but as they say, "I'll never
know".

Yep.....winches are definitely safer when used my knowledgeable pilots.

BCNU
Bruce Hobbs