Doug McLaren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >I do it all the time, and here's some pictures of me >doing it : > > http://mclaren.frenzy.com/~dougmc/RC/triton-charging-through-diode/
That's a pretty convincing argument you've put together, and you went to a lot of trouble to do it. Very interesting! Since I only have JR radios without diodes, I have to admit that I've never had either the opportunity or the skepticism to try this myself. I was going on common sense and what I've read everywhere. If you're right then a whole lot of other people are wrong. Here are some examples of what might very well turn out to be misinformation: http://www.siriuselectronics.com/index.php?main_page=faq "Q: My SIRIUS CHARGE will not work with my Futaba transmitter. Why? "A: There is a diode in the charging circuit of most Futaba FM and PCM transmitters (Futaba AM transmitters do not have a diode). This diode prevents SIRIUS CHARGE from detecting the transmitter battery and turning itself on. The diode is very easy to defeat, and will not affect operation of the transmitter. If you would like to see how to do it, click here. "By the way, BEWARE of fast chargers that claim to work through a diode. It is impossible to do proper peak detection through a diode, due to the diode voltage drop changing drastically with temperature and current. Your batteries are at risk!" It also seems to be the standard wisdom on RCGroups.com. Here are a few posts from folks who treat it as granted: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3477778#post3477778 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2776789&postcount=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2774006&postcount=2 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2486560&postcount=12 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2180279&postcount=8 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1872963&postcount=8 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1872901&postcount=6 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1519150&postcount=5 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1404739&postcount=2 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1189196&postcount=7 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=972157&postcount=11 >I wanted to ditch the transmitters entirely for the picture, and show >you a picture of a diode and a battery pack being charged through it, >but couldn't find an appropriate diode. Maybe later, if I can find >one in my stuff. Maybe I'll try the same experiment tomorrow. I have some diodes at work. Mike -- _____ \__________________|__________________/ (O) RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News. Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off. Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL are generally NOT in text format

