OK, I'll chime in as well.  I started this aero modeling hobby with
model rockets in the 80s.  In 1994 I got bitten by the RC bug with
the intention of flying RC rocket gliders.  I had built, flown,
crashed, rebuilt, etc. a Spirit of 76 and a Skeeter.  So I was
finally ready to actually boost some RCRGs.  My first RCRGs was a
scratch built from a set of plans.  Model was about 40 inches in
span, wooden pod and carbon aero shaft boom, built up fully sheeted
wing.  Spent about a month on it. Powered by a D12.  First flight.  I
wave to the guy with the launch controller to indicate I am ready to
boost.  He gives the count down.  Motor ignites, gets about 2 feet
off the launch rod (this was before I had a lunching tower for these
things), and the motor explodes into a huge fireball (known as
a "CATO" in the rocket world.  Rare, but occasionally happens).  Bits
and pieces EVERYWHERE.  Servos blown to bits, the whole works.  As it
turns out, a buddy of mine got this captured on film.  There is this
awesome "Death Star explosion" type photo of bits of burning
propellant, bits of the balsa pod, bits of wing, and bits of RC gear
in mid air.  Worst of all, the photo was published!  It was sent to
the NAR's (rocket version of AMA) magazine and was included in a
section similar to the part in MA where people send in pictures of
their newly built creations on display.