Well, that's the rub, isn't it.

We can measure the losses associated with (I'll assume you are referring to) base loaded whips, in the lab it equates to ~15%. The manner in which I did this was to mount the RX (and antenna element) within a chamber and rotate it every 5-10 degrees and take a measurement, in all 3 XYZ planes. The end result is a 3D plot which will allow aggregate gains and losses to be directly compared with other designs.

As to extraneous interference and how it may adversely impinge on our communications requires other techniques, like onboard pulse emission detectors. Although diagnostic in nature, the evidence is definitely empirical. Years ago I offered ready-built versions, but precious few saw the advantages, so I gave up.

I can't tell you (nor can anyone else) how various forms of extraneous interference will impinge on our communications systems in advance. Those of us who work within the confines of RF design and application can make educated predictions that can be very accurate...based on experience.

Bill Swingle wrote:

When I tested a number of RX's some 10 years ago all were acceptable,
in fact within a few dB of each other.

OK, most models today are fine. I'm not surprised. But, I'd like to know what the Rx will do when the pilot gets stupid with the installation.

Meaning: What happens if I cut the stock antenna and use
         a bad "shorty" antenna?

         What happens if I have to fold a portion of the Rx
         antenna (small portion) and then fly DIRECTLY infront of a
         commercial antenna broadcasting who knows what frequency(ies)
         at thousands of watts?

These are the questions I'd be interested in hearing answered. Not that I've
ever done either of these, I'm just curious. ;-)

Bill Swingle

-- Simon Van Leeuwen RADIUS SYSTEMS PnP SYSTEMS - The E-Harness of Choice Cogito Ergo Zooom