A proper forming charge takes at least 24Hrs @ C/10. NiCD cells benefit from
this more than NiMH.

Leaving either technology on charge, even at trickle rates, is not advisable.
One has to realize that the original circumstances that lead to trickle
charging regimes was based on back-up power systems, this meant the primary
powr source was used to maintain the backup system. Generally these packs were
replaced before their service life was reached (which was significantly shorter
than actual lifespan).

Once again...trickle-rate charging form dendrites (crystalline cell growth from
the reactive constituents), which can pierce the separator layer and cause soft
shorts. Although (most of) these can be burned off by aggressive discharging or
cycling, not always. Extended charging at trickle rates removes service life
from NiMH and NiCD cells.

Simon Van Leeuwen
PnP Systems - The E-Harness of Choice
Radius Systems