Recently I got a set of four 1/3 AA 350 mah NiMHs with tabs from Batteries
America. I didn't check them with a voltmeter beforehand, I'm sorry to say. I
presumed they would be good. I soldered up a 4-cell pack, but it only put out
3.6 volts and one cell was dead when I checked it. When I phoned, the guy at
Batteries America said I must have touched the soldering iron to the cell
itself. "Look for a spot where the plastic cover has a small hole in it where
you would have touched it accidentally," he said. I did and he was right. So I
bought a new one from them, which arrived shortly, and you can guess that I
was  more careful this time. Now I have a 4.8+ volt pack.

No doubt you checked the cell before soldering it, Ed, but others might  make
the same mistake I did unless they are more careful than I was.

Al