On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 12:39:10AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

| I'm in doubt about a couple of claims that were made here about FCC rules
| concerning 6 meter r/c radios:
|
| 1. Lex Mierop says that 50 Mhz can only be used for aircraft, not cars,
| boats, or robots.

I don't believe this.  He said it was in the band plans, but it's not
in the ARRL band plan that I can find --

   http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html

And even if it was, I'm not sure if band plans carry the force of law
or not.  Though they probably do qualify as `good amateur practice',
and the FCC does like that, so ...

As far as I know, you can do ground or air craft on both the 50 and 53
mHz R/C channels.

| 2. Chuck Anderson says that you can't allow someone to use your 6
| meter r/c radio while you supervise as control operator.

I said it too.  I could have sworn I saw it in the technicial study
book I used, but when I went looking through part 97 today, I couldn't
find the rule.  Maybe it's changed.  I remember it as being specific
to `telecommand', which is the term that they use for R/C.

Though I did find this online --

"Here is the discussion on this topic taken from the latest edition of
the ARRL's FCC Rule Book:

"Telecommand of Model Craft
Amateurs are also permitted to use radio links to control "model craft,"
such as model airplanes and boats. Certain restrictions apply [97.215] on
this kind of operation:
o Station identification is not required for transmission directed only to
the model craft. The control transmitter must bear a label indicating the
station's call sign and the licensee's name and address [97.215(a)].
o Control signals are not considered codes and ciphers [97.215(b)].
o Transmitter power cannot exceed 1 W [97.215(c)].
o Only licensed amateurs may operate telecommand transmitters using amateur
frequencies.

While unlicensed persons may participate as "third parties" in most amateur
operations, they may not participate in telecommand operation. This is true
even when a licensed amateur is closely supervising the operation. The FCC
has said that the one-way transmissions involved in telecommand do not
constitute third-party messages exchanged between control operators.
Nonamateurs must use equipment and frequencies in the Radio Control Service.
If licensed amateurs wish to use amateur equipment and frequencies for model
telecommand, it is their responsibility to be sure that they can safely
operate the equipment while observing the FCC's Rules."

I found that at

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1769536/anchors_1771645/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1771645

and it came from

   Tom Hogerty, KC1J
   Field & Educational Services
   Phone: 860-594-0323
   FAX: 860-594-0259
   E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Back in 2001.

If anybody knows, the ARRL ought to know ...

Beware though if you look at that link ... the page is not safe for
work!  (It contains some fine examples of silicone enhancement taken
to the extreme for some strange reason ...)

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Beam me up, Scotty!  It ate my phaser!