On Jun 29, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Pat McCleave wrote:

Guys,

I have to both agree and disagree with what Chuck said about two meter planes. I agree they are harder to see at distance but have to disagree that they are not harder to fly well. The performance level of most if not all 2M's is not on par with the bigger planes and they are more difficult to fly smooth than the bigger birds.

Yeah. I gotta agree with both comments. They are a bit harder to see and this limits the ability to see lift signals. And range is an issue.

I've been flying open class planes most all year and last weekend went out with only 2M planes. My Laser is well set up but I had a difficult time getting smooth thermal turns. I made the effort to fly it smoothly and really could tell the difference in flight behavior, the 2M is significantly more difficult for me. That to me is not necessarily bad. Spending time with the plane that is more challenging to fly well should translate into flying the bigger planes better. Perhaps not, we'll see. I will be flying my 2M a lot more in the near future just because I like flying it.

As fate would have it, I was out flying with Les Grammer who was tuning up his ICON. We hit a boomer thermal and both planes were waaaay up there. My 2M was bouncing around in very buoyant air and difficult to fly smoothly as I could not always see exactly what it was doing while his ICON was huge by comparison and lots easier to read. (I tried to watch him as well as my plane----when I wasn't watching the two big hawks that were working the same lift. It was a grand flight! :-) )

Cheers,

Bill
---
It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life.    B. Baggins

Bill Johns
Colton, WA