David Nasatir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>As it happens, I use the spoiler for trailing edge camber and butterfly
>switch for crow so, in fact, the three position FLAP switch is currently
>not in use.  How should I proceed to program it to operate the tow
>release on channel 8 (Aux 3) on my Jr XP8103?

I should have asked which of the programmable mixes you were already using. I
was able to achieve what you want by using PROG.Mix4 and PROG.Mix5, but I'm
sure it could be done with two of the other mixes instead if necessary.
Hopefully you're not already using those two mixes.

The reason it's necessary to use two mixes is that PROG.Mix4 is used to
cancel the effect of the BTFY (butterfly) switch on AUX3, while PROG.Mix5 is
used to assign control of AUX3 to FLP-D (the flap switch down). You could
alternately assign the function to FLP-U instead if you like, but I'll show
FLP-D in my example.

The PROG.Mix4 screen looks like this:

[PROG.Mix4]
AUX3 -> AUX3

   Rate: -100%
         -100%
   SW:  ON
   Offset
         -171

The PROG.Mix5 screen looks like this:

[PROG.Mix5]
AUX3 -> AUX3

   Rate: -100%
         -100%
   SW:  FLP-D    OFF ("OFF" appears only when the flap switch is not down.)
   Offset
         +171

To achieve this, start by programming PROG.Mix5. If you do PROG.Mix 4 first,
it may interfere with the setting of the two rates in PROG.Mix5.

1. Hit DN and SELECT together to bring up [FUNC.LIST] and then use UP or DN
to get to PROG.Mix4. Hit UP and DN together to select that mode and make sure
it says "INH". If not, hit CLEAR to disable it for now.

2 Hit UP, or repeat step #1, to advance to PROG.Mix5.

3. Use the DATA and CH buttons to set AUX3 on both the left and right sides.
You should see AUX3 -> AUX3.

4. Make sure the SW: function says "ON" for now. If it doesn't, use the
SELECT button to jump down to SW: and then use the DATA buttons to change it
to "ON". You'll be changing it to FLP-D shortly, but you'll need it set to
"ON" in order to adjust both of the rates.

5. Use the SELECT button to select Rate.

6. Since you haven't disabled the BTFY switch yet, you can use it to select
between the two rates. Select each one and then use the DATA buttons to set
it to -100%.

7. Use the SELECT button to select Offset.

8. If you have the BTFY switch down and hit CLEAR, Offset should assume the
value -171. If the BTFY switch is up and you hit CLEAR, it should assume the
value +171. Use the latter method to set it to +171. (Note: I don't know for
sure that your radio will adjust to exactly +/- 171, but it should at least
be close to those values. It shouldn't matter what the exact values turns out
to be.)

9. Finally, use the SELECT button to go back to SW: and then use the DATA
buttons to set it to FLP-D (or to FLP-U if you prefer.)

10. Now program PROG.Mix4. To do this, follow all of the steps above except
leave SW: set to "ON", and set Offset to -171 as described in step #8.

11. Select MONIT from the [FUNC.LIST] screen and check to see that everything
works as intended. Be sure the BTFY switch has no effect on AUX3 under any
circumstances. If you need to reverse the way your release servo works, go to
REV.SW and use the CH and DATA buttons to reverse channel 8.

That's it! Post here on the list again if you have any problems or questions,
and of course anyone else here is very welcome to add their comments,
suggestions, or corrections.

Mike
--
Winch Solenoid Safety Buzzer - http://www.vvsss.com/buzzer/