If you look close, you will see that the pin and spring contact assemblies are
slightly different between all the marques. Add to this that the aftermarket
arena has their own suppliers and configurations and you start to understand
that no single crimping tool will do all..more like do one type.

At best what is offered by the aftermarket groups is adequate. Every single
spring contact configuration will have it's proper crimping tool out there in
the industry. Proper hand crimping tools are relatively expensive, too much for
the average modeler ($100 to $1000).

The electro-mechanical performance of crimping is superior to soldering IF the
proper tool has been used AND it has been set up properly.

If you buy the aftermarket assemblies, buy the tool they recommend.
Substituting with something else is hit-and-miss, and could generate the same
results of a failed solder joint.

Quoting George Gillburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > Soldering and then crimping with needlenose pliers is
> getting a bit
> > tiresome.
> >
> > Where can I find
> a tool that'll do this job?
> > If you are using the
> connector kits sold by various vendors, you can buy the proper crimping
> tool at  Radio Shack for much less than the connector vendors usually sell
> the same tool for.   After that, its just a matter of crimping and
> assembling the connectors.  Good luck with that.  I can do a JR type
> connector that works well but for the life of me, I can't get an old style
> Airtronics connector to assemble properly.
>
> George Gillburg Bakersfield, California
> "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
> subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME
> turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL are
> generally NOT in text format

Simon Van Leeuwen
PnP Systems - The E-Harness of Choice
Radius Systems