From: Chuck Anderson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 9:58 PM
To: soaring@airage.com
Subject: [RCSE] War story

Things have been a little slow on RCSE lately so I decided to post
another war story.  I am out of stories short enough to be posted
here so I am posting the start of a much longer story.  This story
happened in February, 1956.  Hope you enjoy it.

Chuck Anderson

The reflections of the flight line floodlights glittered in the
puddles of water on the ramp as I rode the line taxi out to my
plane.  The ceiling was about 2000 ft. with layers of stratus up to
18000 ft and no higher clouds.  At least that's what the weatherman
in base ops said.  There was also no moon until after midnight.  A
perfect night for flying!  Especially since the mission was high
altitude target for  F86D All Weather Interceptors.

I went out to the T33 early to be sure the canopy was clean.  The
crew chief looked a little unhappy when I ask him for some cleaning
fluid and a clean rag.  A few wipes removed the smudges on the inside
of the canopy over the pilot's head.  The outside of the canopy was
clean so I was ready to start engines early.

Takeoff was on time and I initiated a slight right turn as I passed
over the end of the runway to cross over the center of the East Bay
Bridge and provide additional clearance from the housing area just to
the left of runway 31L.  The lights of Tyndall blinked out as I
entered the base of the overcast.  The fuselage strobe lights began
reflecting off the clouds creating a flickering effect in the
cockpit.  The strobe lights could induce vertigo when flying at night
in the clouds so I turned them off.  The wing tip lights continued to
produce a red glow around the left tip tank while a green glow
surrounded the right tip tank.

I did not break out of the clouds at 18,000 ft as promised by the
weather forecaster.  At  20,000 ft, the red and green glows around
the tip tanks had vanished so I turned the strobe lights on
again.  There was no reflection so I was clear of clouds.  The plane
was flying in a completely black void with nothing visible outside
the cockpit.  Haze layer!  A star finally became visible overhead
when passing through 25,000 ft and, at 28,000 ft, the whole sky
exploded with thousands of stars as I broke through the top of the haze
layer.

I was flying in a giant inverted bowl filled with stars.  Somewhere
below my right wing tip Tallahassee lay buried beneath the clouds
while ahead lay Albany, Georgia.  A quick check of the cabin altitude
indicated that cabin pressurization was holding good.   The climb was
now less than a thousand feet a minute and decreasing but I should be
able to get to 42,000 ft ahead of time.

The controller vectored me into a holding pattern over Albany while I
continued to climb.  The controller informed me that the fighter
takeoff was late as usual so I had a few extra minutes to enjoy the
spectacular view outside my canopy.

I finally leveled off at 42,000 and trimmed the plane for level
flight.  Once stabilized in the holding pattern, I turned the cockpit
lights down until the instruments were just barely visible.  Now
there were no reflections on the canopy to mar the view.

There were thousands of stars just outside the canopy. A red
one.  That must be Mars.  Blue white stars.  Bright stars.  Dim
stars.  The Milky Way cut a glowing band across the sky.  How many
stars can I see?  Wherever I look, there are stars. Look at a blank
area for a few seconds and a myriad of faint glowing dots become visible.

There were so many stars that it was difficult to pick out
constellations that were so familiar and easy to see from the
ground.  The stars looked so close that it seems as if I could reach
out and grab one if I just could reach through the canopy. John
Gillespie Magee you must have seen something like this to be able to
write High Flight!

A faint vibration in the control stick interrupted my enjoyment of
the view.  A little back pressure on the stick dropped the airspeed
below the critical Mach number and eliminated the aileron buzz.  I
turned the cockpit lights up and noted that I had lost 500
ft.  Control called as I leveled off and gave me a new heading to
fly.  The fighters were airborne and it was time to go to work.

"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
MIME turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL
are generally NOT in text format