[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Groundhog day #5...

The US team is currently in 3rd place overall, but with a very precarious lead
over the fourth place swiss.  There was a lot of rain this morning, so we
didn't get started until about 2PM today.

Yesterday was a bad news/good news kind of a day. Duration was very challenging, both in the morning and afternoon rounds. I was the unfortunate recipient of the wrong time/wrong place award for both duration rounds. Gordon and Mike both maxed out for their duration slots, but both had to work very hard for their maxes. They did some amazing flying in their slots. We had another good round of distance in round five, where we only dropped one lap total for our three flights. They decided to finish the evening Thursday with speed, which meant that there would be almost zero cycling as there was nothing happening for the previous few duration rounds. This was a good thing for the US team, as we have been cursed with the bad sink award for virtually all of our speed flights, excepting Mike and Gordon in round 1. We redeemed ourselves, with a 16, 17 and 18. The returning champion Andreas Bohlen has flown extremely well during the contest, and until I saw Andreas Herrig fly, I thought that Bohlen was at the pinnacle of F3B performance. Both fly speed without perceptible mistakes, but Herrig does things with his own design/build plane that does not seem possible.
The German team has been flying with admirable precision, and have the team
award locked up...

Gotta go,
Joe

I have a couple of pictures I downloaded of Herrig's own design Shocker.If anyone would like me to send them I'd be glad to do it.

As well as he did in speed he also went undefeated in every round of distance.

Pretty cool looking glider.

Time for the Americans to design a new F3B glider.