It may be a case of the transmitter 'swamping' the rec  If the TX is too
close, it can over excite the rec front end.  I suspect that
this may be exagerated with the 5cell battery.  Can he try a 4 cell
instead?  Why the 5 cell?  If he is trying to get weight, use 4 bigger
cells, or carry some lead.  I think that 5 cells may not provide
additional flight timne over 4 cells.

I personally don't like the antenna on the leading edge.  I would bring it
out of the fuse near the reciever, and over the wing to the tip of the
vert tail.  Putting ot on the wing LE, would alter the shape of one LE and
could upset airflow over this most critical area of the wing.

And, attaching the antenna to a 'removable' part of the airplane, can
cause distress if that part separates from the rest of the aircraft, as in
a sudden arrival with the ground.  Thi has been known to rip the antenna
from the receiver or worse, stress and fatigue the antenna at the receiver
case leading to sudden failure at a latter date.

.........bc    AG4YQ  Williamsburg, VA