"Let's get this great hobby growing".

Well said, George, well said.

This is something that has been on my mind a lot lately, as I am the resident "webmaster", flyer-maker, etc. for the Louisville Area Soaring Society. We are a relatively small club -- we number into the 40s on paper, but have a hard time getting half a dozen people to field regularly. We have only one contest per year - the Day After Derby contest that could certainly be a larger affair than it has been in the last few years. (We also host the MidSouth ever three years, but that's beside my point).

We need to do a better job of "outreaching" to the rest of the hobby community. Soaring is too great of an experience for it to wither away. Our permit with the Metro (Louisville) Parks Dept. requires us to show "significant use" (I think that's the term) of the field to retain our contract. With the ever-increasing suburban sprawl, I worry that we might lose it if our numbers stay as they are.

In the last couple of years, we have been attempting to do a better job of growing the club - first through our newly-redone website, new logo, new t-shirts and updated club flyers at the Local Hobby Shops among other club initiatives. We've also been encouraging electric flyers to join us at the field and we've already had a handful of "cross-overs". This year, a group of electric-minded glider-guiders organized to put together LASS' first new contest in a long while - the F5J Speed 400 contest. F5J is a new, up-and-coming idea that is generating a good bit of exicitement. The Speed 400 idea brings it within range of mostly any modeller. At that contest alone (yesterday) we drew at least 6 new pilots and/or interested parties! All of these are small steps, but ones that we've seen results from.

If the addage of "Any press is good press" has any truth to it, then so be it. We've tried with the website, our own club email-list, newsgroups, etc. to keep the LASS news coming and in the minds of those that we are within reach of. Think of the number of times at a contest when you meet someone or someone meets you who already knows your name through the e-grapevine. Reports from your local club let others know that the soaring spirit is continuing in your neck of the woods. Again, a small thing. BTW -- Gordy does a good job of "spreading the word" as well, though he's rarely in Louisville! Consider him as our gift to you :)

In regards to all of the NATS/Nat'l Fun Fly discussion that has flown about lately, I'll only say that if soaring is to survive, it must support the uninitiated, new and interested pilot. This includes kids, folks who can't afford the high-dollar ships, people who think they don't care for competition, etc. Trends in the aeromodeling hobby need to be recognized and capitalized upon if this hobby is to progress and grow. I'll support just about anything that keeps the barriers to entry to this hobby low, but the possibilities high.

In the end, nothing is possible without a little help from friends. You and I know that this soaring community is one of the most helpful, generous, innovative and generally fun groups you'll ever find and I'll reiterate George's comment about volunteering, organizing, and supporting. Get out and get involved, a small step forward is still a step forward.

George Voss wrote:
Those of you in large cities with big clubs, don't take your members for
granted.  Don't make 3-4 people do all the work.  Volunteer for something,
organize something, show up to one of your organized events and help out.
Let's get this great hobby growing!

George Voss

--
Ben Wilson