Hi!

I had never seen a F3B competition before and since the WC was held so close I decided that this is a perfect oportunity to see what it is all about. I spent there four days (from Tuesday to Friday) and made more than 1500 pictures. At the end of the second day I learned to use the camera to shoot the planes. Tha camera was Konica Minolta Dimage Z5 - not a SLR, but quite usable if you are careful. It has 12x optical zoom that brings the planes to the shooting range at the last 1/3 of the distance run. It also has progressive and continuous shooting modes that are perfect for capturing the launches.

The weather was good most of the time - at least for spectators :) Most of the time, the wind was blowing perpendicular to the winchlines, so the launches were very interesting to watch, with planes turning away right after the launch and going sometimes straight over your head at low height, full winch power. The competition was held on a working airfield, so there were pauses from time-to-time to let the big planes land and take-off. The landing area for the duration task was between winchlines and runaway and almost invisible for spectators. On Friday the wind was blowing along the winchlines and the landing area was moved to the hangar side, so we could see the landings too.

Some pictures from the WC are here: http://home.cyber.ee/arne/f3b-album/

(full album in packed form for easier offline browsing - http://home.cyber.ee/arne/f3b-album.zip - 90MB).

regards,
Arne