Better to be called a geek than a nerd!

Michael Conte wrote:

As soon as contests start paying $1million + for first place, I'm sure flying/building rc sailplanes will be considered "cool".

Mike

On Aug 12, 2005, at 7:58 AM, Dennis Hoyle wrote:

Just a curious thing why is it "geeky" for someone to fly "toy" planes when it's cool whack a ball
with a club into a hole? It must be the PR spin. ;-)

Dennis Hoyle
WMSS
AMA 11952
LSF II
Sec / Treasurer / Web Geek

                            ____|____
 '-----------------------------|_|-----------------------------'

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Steifel
To:  Joe Wurts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Soaring@airage.com
Sent: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:52:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Re: Great Job guys

Damn, I only thought that we were viewed that way in the US. I thought
it was much more popular (an less Geeky) abroad.

Joe Wurts wrote:

Probably the best story from the WC comes from our first full day there,
although not really connected with the flying aspects.

We were on the way to the practice field, and stopped to pick up some food at a truck stop on the highway. On our way out, a teenager zips up to us on
one of those scooter things.  He took one look at us, and asked us (in
english) "what are you guys doing here?" Gordon, in his typical rapier wit, answers "INVASION!" The kid, not at all intimidated, continues, "no really, why are you here?" We explain to him that we are here in Finland to compete at the world championships for radio controlled gliders. He doesn't bat an
eye in replying, "Oh,... GEEKS!"

Joe
Team USA Geek member