>  In the past I have used .014 pre-preg for the  upper spar and
> .007 for  the lower.

For a plane the size of the Challenger, these thicknesses are about 1/3
of what is actually needed. Use .042 on top and .021 on the bottom.

> Ideally, placing the CF in the middle of the  upper spar would
> provide great strength, but placing it under the spar

Put it on top. The distance between the top and bottom carbon strips
must be as great as possible.

For very complete discussions of carbon in spars, see the Charles River
website, or the Allegro Lite Yahoo Group archives. You can find the
math to figure out the right dimensions, along with extensive
construction notes.