"ron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Just bought one of the new Futaba Synthesizer for my Super 8 transmitter.
>Someone told me that there units use additiontal power from the battery pack
>and it would be a good idea to upgrade my pack.  They do seem to generate
>more heat than a standard module.
>Any one have and answer or opinon?

Here's an RCGroups.com thread about that module:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345704

and here are a few thoughts from me:

The Hitec Spectra module has been reported to both run hot and drain
batteries quicker. It seem like a reasonable assumption that the new Futaba
module, as well as the new JR synthesizer module, will do the same.

It's pretty cheap and easy to upgrade your battery pack, and you'll love the
extended charge time even if you haven't done anything to increase your power
consumption.

If you have decent soldering skills, I recommend buying two four-packs of
Energizer NiMh AA cells from a local department store like Target or WalMart.
They're available in 2500 MAh capacity these days, which is over four times
the capacity of the 600 MAh NiCd cells supplied with most radios in the past.

If you can't find a replacement connector, just reuse the one from your old
NiCd pack. (Warning - Don't cut through both wires at the same time!)

There's no need to solder the cells end-to-end. Just connect the cell ends
with short jumper wires. Then tape up the pack with duct tape if you don't
have any shrink tubing, and make sure the pack can't short circuit to any
metal inside the battery compartment of your radio. (This is a potential
problem with Hitec Eclipse 7 radios.)

The old charger that came with your radio ought to work fine, but of course
it'll take a lot longer to charge your pack because of the greater capacity.

Mike
--
Winch Solenoid Safety Buzzer - http://www.vvsss.com/buzzer/
                           _____