To: <soaring@airage.com>; "Loren Blinde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2005 11:31 AM
Subject: [RCSE] The Midwest Lil' T and other nostagia stuff.

Before the Lil' T was kitted, it appeared as a construction article in Flying Models magazine as I recall. I think this was in the mid '60's. The miniature plans were printed on one full page or maybe over two pages.

Being self-reliant about modeling stuff, I cut out the page(s) and took a picture with my trusty Leica 35MM camera.

In my little darkroom, with the negative I made prints of adjacent areas of the plans and pieced them together to make a set of what became 3/4 "full size" Lil' T plans. I scratch built the ship and got a rudder-only radio from the original ACE R/C. This was my first R/C ship. I tossed it off a slope and got flights as long as 30 seconds! I'd read about slope soaring, but had no experience with extended flight.

Seeing room for improvement in the airframe, I conjured up a larger and lighter "original" "T" tail design. Someone (Royal???) manufactured an airborne system in block form that provided a receiver with rudder and elevator control. I'd messed with flimsy non-R/C tow line gliders so rigged up a hook for a string to pull it up, but I couldn't run fast enough.

Also, whatever I had for a transmitter was essentially incompatable with the block, but I'd occasionally get airborne for short flights at the slope.

After a year of dismal results, I realized I had to get a reliable radio or quit this nonsense. I bought a Kraft 3 channel proportional outfit with huge metal-cased servos and receiver. It cost about a tenth of my annual income as I recall, but the radio actually worked.

A larger ship and a better way to get it up was needed. I fashioned a detatchable motor mount to a 10' span original, so it could be put up by glow power to get into thermals or tossed off the slope.

I named it the Duo-Flex. RCM published it as a construction article. I got some real thermal flights with it and also some extended flights off a slope, having discovered that when the wind was blowing that lift was generated.

The successor of the Duo-Flex, the "Tri-Belle", which could also be launched on a winch, was published by Flying Models before RCM got around to publishing the then outdated D-F.

As to the winch, the turnaround had not yet been thought of. We relied on "Walkie Talkies" for communication between the pilot and the guy up field who ran the foot pedal. This lead to mass confusion and unbelievable carnage, when "NO!" or "SLOW!" was misinterpreted as "GO!"

My next ship was the 150" span "Miskeet" published by Flying Models and later kitted by Ralph White (Flite Glass Models). It got a lot of press. I did my LSF Level 4 four hour slope flight with it in the early '70's. There's a story about it and a picture of it on page 7 of the Miscellaneous Pictures file in the Genie web pages at http://genie.rchomepage.com/.

Anybody else have any stories about the "good old days"?

Back to the workbench. I'm building Genie #28.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Loren Blinde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>