Just wanted to drop a line to say "thanks" to the *whole* BSS crew for last weekend's BSS Mid-Am. Except Hank Gullet, who beat me out for those Overall Sportsman servos from JR :)

Jacobson Park's rolling field has a lot of character (like the sink-filled valley before the landing runways), and thanks to the changing weather over those two days you really had to be on the thermal-detecting ball! Always a challenging and fun place to fly.

Thanks be to Gordy for loaning me his old Lexington-built Citation. I met the gents who designed and built it. I was swearing it was powered by Lexington's bluegrass for the first two rounds on Sunday -- I got my times and 90+ landings! What I thought was some supernatural force turned out not to be in the final two rounds - back-to-back sub-four-minute flights :( Nonethless, a great plane with some magic still left in it (magic enough to get me sportsman wood both days). Previously on Saturdy, Ed Wilson loaned me his beautiful Southern Kite to fly and it was a blast! A big ol' bird who can hang and range with the best of them. What wood I got with it I owe to RES-mentor Ed... I managed sportsman wood in all three events (Sat RES & UNL, Sun UNL) which means only one thing: more sportsman need to show up, 'cause I ain't that good!

The BSS Mid-Am will always hold a bit of special place in my heart, 'cause it was my first-ever soaring contest, not to mention it being one of the longest-running soaring contests in the US (oh, and it's right next door in Lexington!) While I know most prefer man-on-man, the open-winch launch-window / runway landing setup does make for a relaxed contest that is perfect for newbies. A great place to learn!

One thing I think is really cool is the digital-photo-on-the-wood thing they do. They snap a photo of you early in the day, and if you get wood yer picture is already in the frame by the end of the day! Awesome. A nice touch to a fun contest.

Thanks again, guys!

--
Ben Wilson
AMA 717440 / LSF 7806