At 06:51 AM 9/7/05, you wrote:
Eddie,

I asked Mike Lachowski how they were getting their molded models so light. He did a very in depth write up for me about how he is building them.... starting with the method of wetting out the tow.

Please see below:

Thanks guys, It might be helpful to describe what I had intended to do to make the spars for the model.

The wing is foam cored that has been routed out to insert the spar. The spar is going to be pre-made and
then inserted into the slot in the core.
The spar is tapered from 17mm wide at the root to 8mm at the tip. I am going to make spar caps in a jig that I've constructed and then assemble them with the joiner box and shear webbing in another jig. This will ensure that the depth of the spar is correct to fit the wing. I was intending to make the spar caps with various lengths of tow so that the cap thickness also tapers to the tip. To try to get the tows as straight as possible in the spar cap I intend to use a steel roller to roll the tows into the jig all in one direction after
they are laid into the jig.

I was intending to wet out the carbon tows with a roller system that will hopefully wet the carbon and leave the carbon both straight and with the correct amount of resin in it. When the cap is all laid up I was going to use peel ply and vacuum bag it in the jig to get any excess resin out of it. It is this roller system that I
was trying to find on the net.

This is for the Majali model that the Club group is constructing and because we have to make a total of 22 spars we need to have a system of building the spars that will ensure some consistency in size and
strength.

I would appreciate any comments on both the construction method proposed and any ideas of how to make a carbon tow wetting system. I still can't find the photo that I saw on the net.

Eddie the Eagle
in sunny South Australia