I think of "building", as it applies to other modelers, of at least
completing a kit for which most of the parts, but especially wings and tail
pieces, require assembly.

"Building" as it applies to me, has a stricter sense, which for most of my
life has meant scratch building everything but hardware from raw materials.

The last few years, though, I've used Les Horvath prepared foam cores to do
carbon cloth covered vacuum-bagged wings and have finally succumbed to using
composite fuselages. However, I did make the plugs from which molds were
made and from which fuses are being made.

I suspect everyone who reads this knows about my 145-1/2" span, big Genie
design. If not, see http://genie.rchomepage.com/ about the Genie line of
scratch-buildable, competition airframes.

I've just finished the 28th one and this one for another party with some
custom features for F3J high stress towing. I built it liesurely and with
special care over the last several weeks.

Ready fly, the all up, RTF weight is just 80.7 oz. on the 3 piece, 8.75 sq.
ft. wing ship.

This is not a butterfly, floater type ship. It is rugged and more aptly
described as a dreadnaught or juggernaut.

As is always used, wing cores are blue Dow High Load 60 foam,  has the usual
Kevlar wrapped, double tapered CF spar system, overall 4.7 carbon cloth,
plus 1.4 oz glass on a bias, real wood LE, glassed-over before bagging and
that beautifully engineered composite fuse made by Keith Smith.

On this one, though, an 8.2 oz. 5 cell 2000MAH airborne battery was to be
carried, heavy duty blue-tempered, clock-spring steel blades used for tip
support, a heavy duty Hoopes Harness installed and a stab set reinforced
with CF capped spars.

I just got back from doing some initial hand tosses amid soccer clutter at
the Community College field. 200 feet from a gentle hand toss.  What a glide
and so straight and true! . .wow!. .Wow! . WOW!

Tomorrow, I'll drive where I can do big launches, do some fine trimming and
then reluctantly put it away for the buyer.

I absolutely have to have one just like this one for me for next year. Cores
for #29 have been ordered.

Oh, yeah, the composite fuse for the 10' span Genie LT/S is shortly to be in
production. With it, the all up weight should be 56-58 ounces. This is
another rugged ship that will do a most-spirited  deep dip and zoom launch.

Now is the time to get serious about a project for winter and it's a far
better thing to do than watch bad news you can do so little about.