Today, I drove the 180 mile trip each way to Muncie to participate in a
RES meet.  The combination of RES and the Muncie AMA site along with the
promise of light winds were too much to resist.  I was rewarded for my
effort - no, not with wood, but the pleasure of a very nicely paced, seeded
MOM contest.  This contest would be just the kind of contest you'd want for
a newbie's first.  I flew 5 rounds (I suspect they would have flown a sixth
but didn't out of concern for a geezer that had a long drive home) in the
company of the gentlemen from the MIST Club.  They did a great job and have
a neat attitude:  "if you can't fly well, you can eat well" as demonstrated
by the delicious box lunch included in the entry fee.  I highly recommend
this event to beginners who want to learn competition.  Seasoned fliers
might want to use it to sharpen their often rusty RES skills to prepare for
the day when RES comes into its own at the NATS.  They do practice seeded
MOM and, as fliers from the OVSS series will tell you - it's fun.  Watch the
AMA magazine, and if you can make it, you, too, will be rewarded with a most
pleasant soaring experience.  Thanks to the gentlemen of MIST for a great
day and to Marc Gellart (he's a gentleman too) for driving the winch for me.
    BTW, none of the RES competitors wound up in the corn or beans - the
lost 2 meter plane described elsewhere on RCSE was discovered by
"rocketeers" who had an event at the AMA site today as well.
        And now to bed,
                Jim Deck
PS:  If you're going to the Fall Roundup at Muncie next weekend, take a
spare pair of dry socks - the field was quite "mushy".