Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:28:15 -0700
From: "Harley Michaelis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <soaring@airage.com>
Subject: Re: Some history, status of things & a challenge

I suspect I have about as many years in model airplane design, engineering,
construction, flying, crashing and repairing as anyone on the planet. I got
hooked when Lindbergh did his 1927 flight to Paris. I thereafter never
complained "Mom. . . there's nothing to do!"

 With the big Depression shortly underway and money unavailable even for
 essentials, my building, originally with non-flying models, was done with
 cedar shingles, fence posts and cigar boxes, apple boxes and what was in
 the lumber yard scrap heap. The first adhesive I ever used was LePage's 48
 Hour Iron Glue. It took that long to cure!  Tools were my dad's hammer,
 file, pliers and mom's kitchen knives.

 In my teens, besides "Spicy Detective" with its stimulating artwork, I
 discovered model mags offering things like Ambroid cement, balsa, tissue,
 banana oil, etc. There were rubber powered kits, but with money so scarce,
 I scratch built my own. Well, I did build one kit. It was a folding prop,
 36" span, "Douglas Space Conqueror". To buy it at a whopping $3, I saved
 up small change for 6 mo.!

 By the time I had discretionary income, I was so comfortable scratch
 building and with ideas popping into my head, I had no interest in kits. A
 life of scratch building has kept costs down, unleashed and kept the
 creative juices flowing and always given me something constructive to do,
 even now.

 Since getting into R/C sailplanes about 1965 I've built one kit, a Dodgson
 Maestro I promptly sold. No discredit is meant to Bob's designs. I
 remember a contest with 28 entrants I attended. 27 had a Dodgson ship.
 It's not his fault, but as money became less tight and with younger guys
 who never scratch built anything wanting to get in the game, kits became
 the way to go.

 Now with more money to spend and with guys showing up who are accustomed
 to "instant satisfaction", and with the advent of ARF's and RTF's,
 relatively inexpensive kits that can similarly perform are about
 non-existent.

 The upshot of this is that the joy and satisfaction of being creative has
 been squelched, it costs too much, and because of costs it limits new
 participation. Pity.

 Sadly, guys who take this route do no original thinking, do nothing new or
 creative and thus have nothing to pass on to make a meaningful
 contribution. This is clearly confirmed in the pages of the model
 magazines that used to contain such meaty and useful construction articles
 that reflected the state of the art creations done by individual modelers.

 I'm disheartened that so many guys have acquiesced to the notion that only
 ARF airframes can effectively compete. This notion, in my humble opinion,
 is erroneous and essentially the result of failing to develop and use
 building skills.

 Just my opinion, but I think the common excuses of "no time", "my time is
 too valuable", "I can't build", "I want to be competitive", etc. have
 little validity for most who express them. Rather, for most, I consider it
 just a copout for their failure to develop and use skills and exercise
 their creative abilities.

 By now, readers must know of the Big Genie, the Genie Pro and the Genie
 LT/S at http://genie.rchomepage.com/. These are unique, highly
 competitive, scratch-buildable designs that, properly built and in skilled
 hands, will perform as well as any ARF in their size classes. The "how to"
 CD offered probably provides the most thorough instructions with pictures
 of any model offered on the planet. Stick to the script, finish one and
 you'll have learned skills to use for life as well as having something to
 show up with you can be proud about.

 What is needed to break out of the ARF shackles and set
 examples is for a bunch of you experts to accept the challenge to build
 one of the 3 ships over the winter. At near 85, I'm a "threatened
 species", but still able and willing to help with e-mail support. By next
 year, if still functioning, I may have lost interest in being so helpful.

 I'd love to see a couple of dozen guys get to it pronto. I sure don't want
 to find myself with nothing to do this winter after I finish a new LT/S
 with the composite fuse and big Genie #29.