I used a program called Jalbum to build galleries, and an FTP program called
CoreFTP to move files to our site - it feels like using Windows Explorer to
copy the folders of pictures and webpages that I use to display those pics.

I let Jalbum build folders with my pics, and I just make a link to the
topmost file that it created.  I added a link back to the home site, but
some programs let you specify that as an option (saving you any edits).

Look for Jalbum, try it locally - you may really like it.

Good luck,
Brent