Well, it's an interesting argument.  Not taking  a side at this point, but
let me ask this question: If the regional VP's aren't representing your soaring
interests well, can you say it's not because of a lack of contact with your
particular interest group?  In other words, how often does your club
communicate
to the regional V.P., and I mean more than mailing him a copy of your
newsletter (though that's a  good start)? How often do you talk to the veep or
e-mail
him? Do they get regular invites to the club contests? Do they know how many
people are flying gliders in their district?

I'm asking have you tried to meet them at least half-way, or are you
passively hoping they "get it" by some kind of osmosis? Because even in a small
region, it's a LOT of clubs for one guy to deal with, each one by itself is
probably
a blip on their radar, unless it presents some problem or special situation.
All those clubs have different and sometimes competing interests, all vying
for attention. The ones that push their intersts most, that remain "top of
mind", they influence the trends in the decision making.  That's also the way
our
actual government tends to work: the squeaky wheel and all that.

Sailplaners tend to be iconoclasts in a hobby that attracts iconoclastic
people.  I think the process using regional Veeps that's in place can work for
us
just fine, if we remember to stay fully engaged with it.  If the veep has a
particular preference in the hobby, and it doesn't favor our needs, well, you
can also vote for new veeps that better recognize your needs. Democracy is not
good system for the lazy or the indifferent: it's a  contact sport, and you
don't win if you don't play.  Can't be a lone eagle and complain the flocks get
the better free seed.

By shifting the AMA structure towards reps from interest groups, I think you
actually make it less fair than you feel it is now: you turn it into a
popularity contest that can be affected by lobbying, and the commercial
interests of
the hobby would tend to override the member interests.  There's a reason it's
called an academy, versus an association; the distinctions are subtle, but
real.

But this is an interesting topic of discussion, I'd like to hear other's
opinions as well.
-mark